Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Day 3: Seoul Tour

6:37 AM Posted by Unknown 1 comment
Yet another wonderful day in South Korea! The day started out with some boring orientation stuff, of which I will spare you the details. Things started getting interesting when we got our schedules and took a city tour of Seoul!

Our schedules are rather confusing. Printed off, they're nearly impossible to read! The only thing you can really tell is when they are and the class number. So I had to look up online what classes each of them actually were and what building they are in. But the building names are still in Korean, so that will be interesting. And right now I'm kinda confused about my schedule, but I'll talk to the study abroad office about it tomorrow! The good news is that I seem to have gotten into all the classes I really really wanted to take: History of Western Architecture, International Fashion Marketing, and Consumer Research Methodology. Now I just have to hope that the professors decide to actually teach the courses in English! The study abroad leader said that sometimes if there's only one English-only student in the class, the teachers will decide it isn't worth teaching the class in English and they'll just teach in Korean instead. That would be such a bummer! But I know of one other person signed up for my Architecture class, so hopefully that'll work out.

Now for the more exciting part of our day... The Seoul tour! However, the name of the event was rather misleading. Seoul is much, MUCH too big. Just to put it in perspective, Seoul is home to almost 10 million people crammed into 230 square miles. If you thought New York was busy, think again! Seoul houses almost 2 million more people than New York in HALF the square mileage of New York. There is so much to look at! But we went to two specific places today. First of all, Seoul Tower! Set atop a hill, Seoul Tower is 777 feet high and provides an absolutely breathtaking panoramic view of the entire city of Seoul! I'll post pictures on facebook, because words cannot do it justice. In addition to it's views, the tower has a pavilion with shops, food, and a martial arts demonstration! That was insanely cool to see. After years of reading manga and seeing anime, it was so awesome to see it happen in real life! Haha. They used traditional weaponry and demonstrated all sorts of moves. It included the death of many sticks of bamboo by swords. After the tower, we went to Myeong-dong, a popular shopping destination! There were lots of food stands, stalls peddling jewelry, large department stores, and everything in between!

After our long day, we returned to campus, got food, and called it a day, much to my relief. I'm not sure my feet have ever hurt more in my life! Sleep will feel good tonight for sure!

1 comment: