Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Korean Classes

7:29 PM Posted by Unknown 1 comment
Both fortunately and unfortunately, our week of hardcore tourism is over and classes have begun! It's nice to be able to relax a little more, rather than running around the city for 12 hours each day. However, I do miss the rush of fun activities. Classes have been very interesting though!

I've been lucky enough to have all of my classes taught in English. Some students are running into the problem that their classes are supposed to be taught in English, but the professor ends up teaching them in Korean anyway. That hasn't happened for a single class for me, though! I think the classes I am going to take here are Korean Language, History of Architecture, International Marketing, Global Fashion Marketing, and Perspectives on the World Christian Movement. I've also joined some clubs too! Hopefully I'll be in the English Conversation Club and Ping Pong club.

Some observations about how Korean classes are different than American classes... 1. Many of them take attendance into pretty high consideration for your final grade. I have one class where attendance and citizenship make up 40% of my overall grade! 2.Korean students also don't seem to really take notes. I rarely see them writing things down, and hardly any of them bring computers to class. The popular form of note taking seems to be snapping pictures of the PowerPoint presentation with their smartphones! 3. Many professors use microphones for their classes. This may be normal for larger American institutions as well, but it's definitely not something I'm used to. Even when the classes are pretty small, professors still tend to use the microphone. 4. This may seem like a small difference, but the printer paper size is different! I brought a folder from home for my papers, but they all stick out the top because they're too tall! 5. Textbooks are significantly cheaper. I don't know why, they just are. Here, you can get a new textbook for the price you can usually buy a used one in America. 6. Only 40% of students in a class can get A's. So even if you get a 92%, you might still end up with a B. Seems unfair to me!

So wish me luck in all my classes! *fingers crossesd*

1 comment: